Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Mistakes, errors, cutting corners...

I am writing this post to inform the customer who bought sunscreen off me last week at the Los Ranchos Growers Market that I need to apologize for the poor quality product you purchased and I hope I can find you to make things right.

I offer a sunscreen, a fabulous recipe I came up with, a product that I have tested and used and have had terrific success with.  I recently made a poor choice to purchase an ingredient from a different source and made a batch to sell at market.  I spoke with many about the wonderful product I had but thankfully only one person bought the sunscreen from me.  This sunscreen was made with a coconut oil I recently purchased.  It was not the quality or type of oil I preferred and it made a product I do not like at all.


Here is the story.  



I purchase the ingredients for my natural care product recipes from several sources. I am always trying to stay as local as possible with all I purchase, but some items I need to get online.  I have found the few sources I need for those items to be very natural, healthy and reasonable.  Some ingredients can get very pricey and I try to make cost as low as I can so as to give the customer an opportunity to get a healthy natural product of fine quality at a fair price.

Recently I thought I came across a source for Coconut Oil that offered a terrific price and was a company where I had obtained other ingredients and was very pleased.  I ordered the oil and used it to make the sunscreen just before coming to market last weekend.  I thought it was okay, then as we were at the stand it started to look wrong.  I noticed the longer we were there the more the sunscreen looked as if it were separating and not blended properly.  I thought maybe the temperature was effecting the sunscreen but I knew this hadn't happened before.

By time I got home and unpacked I realized the sunscreen I had made was all separating and not at all a product I feel good about selling.  I am not sure if it will even be as protective, and this was really disappointing.  I had many people purchase other products from me but there was only one who purchased the sunscreen, I hope I find them some time soon and am able to explain to them what happened and make it right.

After repeated discussions back and forth with a representative from my source we realized this coconut oil I had purchased was processed, not virgin or organic like I thought.  The process alters the structure and effect of this oil in recipes.  I could not have made my smooth creamy sunscreen with this oil.  Mystery solved, adjustment made, new oil ordered...but I am so disappointed this happened.

I attempt to create products I can be proud of.  I offer items I have tried and use and know work terrific.  This is the only way I can sell anything.  I am not a salesman type who feels comfortable selling anything I do not fully believe in.

From now on I will stick to my tried and true ingredients, from the sources I know clearly what I am getting and that I know for sure work as expected.  I hope to have a fresh batch of sunscreen this week or next, it will depend on when I receive my shipments.  In the mean time if you have that bottle of sunscreen, please bring it to me at the market, I am glad to offer you a replacement, even larger in size, of a much better product and my sincere apologies!

Thank you for taking the time to read about my mishap.

Here's to better products from here on out!

Take care
BettyK

No comments:

Post a Comment